Superior Description Services is looking for Indigenous Audio Description Trainees in Toronto and GTHA! We are looking for confident, self-starters to participate in a paid training and professional development program. Participants will gain hands-on experience working as an Audio Describer in a professional setting. Upon successful completion of the program, individuals will be considered for Audio Description projects with the Superior Description Services team.
This program is intended for early-career professionals who have an interest in theatre and the performing arts. An interest in arts accessibility is considered an asset.
- Energetic and confident personality, comfortable with public speaking, performance experience is considered an asset
- Independent and self-disciplined, able to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Fondness for writing and communications
- Professionalism and diplomacy
What is Audio Description? Audio Description is a service for Blind and Partially Sighted users to engage with visual mediums – allowing patrons the ability to determine what is happening on stage, in a film or to convey visual artworks.
Schedule and Participation
- Participants will commit to completing paid training and professional development program with Superior Description Services.
- The training program will consist of three web-based training modules led by Lead Describers from Superior Description Services.
- The professional development will consist of 15 hours of supervised audio description projects to be completed with the guidance of the Senior Describer from Superior Description Services. Due to the nature of live theatre, participation on evenings and weekends may be required.
- Participants must be eligible to work in a live theatre setting including adherence to their respective COVID 19 policies. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to training.
- Participants will be required to independently travel to live theatre events
- Participants will need reliable access to the internet in order to participate in the training modules and complete the professional development assignments
Those interested are invited to send a statement of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Audio Description Indigenous Trainee Program” by April 4th, 2022.
Inquiries and requests for accommodation can be directed to email@example.com
Note: As a growing team, we welcome and encourage expressions of interest from Indigenous people, Black people, people of colour, people with disabilities, people of all genders, sexual orientation and intersectional identities. Selected candidates selected for this round of training will identify as Indigenous.